When it comes to household waste, a skip hire is a great option to help clear out all the rubbish. Domestic waste items may include things like carpet off cuts, paper, cardboard, and even old broken furniture. These items can be recycled and disposed of safely when hiring a skip from Evergreen.
There are a few exceptions and things which cannot be disposed of via a skip hired through Evergreen. It is important to familiarise yourself about these prohibited items before you start clearing rubbish from your home.
Below are some examples of item you cannot put into a skip.
- Electrical equipment and household appliances. Items like computers, TVs, and microwaves are all prohibited.
- Large batteries. Unfortunately, they contain harmful chemicals and should be taken to dedicated recycling centres to recycle them safely instead.
- Fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs contain hazardous materials, including mercury. This means that you cannot put any of your old bulbs into a skip.
- Medical waste. You cannot dispose medical waste such as PPE, needles, and syringes as they can be hazardous to the staff handling the waste on site.
- Plasterboard. If you’ve been carrying out building work in your home, you may have plasterboard to dispose of. Unfortunately, you can’t put this material in a skip as it lets off hydrogen sulphide gas, which can be very harmful.
- Fuel, solvents, and paints. Skip hire providers are not usually licensed to handle these items as they contain harmful chemicals and are flammable.
If you are unsure on what you can and can’t put into a skip, contact our friendly team at Evergreen skip hire and we would be more than happy to advise.